- Studied with Paul Delrue, 1985-7, and London
College of Printing, 1988-90.
- 1990-2001 lived in California. Past President of the Hand Bookbinders
of California. With John DeMerritt had TV show, The Book Boys.
- Self employed since 1994. Joined by Michael Burke 1996. Taught at University
of California and across USA for the Guild of Bookworkers. Co-founded binding
programme at the San Francisco Center for the Book, 1996. Returns each
summer to teach and lecture.
- Moved to the Lake District in 2001. Teaches at Brewery Arts Centre in
Kendal, at Burton Manor, and at home.
- Ten prizes in DB Bookbinding Competition 2001-7, including both first
prizes and the Mansfield Silver Medal in 2007.
- Licentiate of DB in 2003, Fellow in 2008.
- Vice Chairman of Society of Bookbinders, co-founder of SoB Seminar and
DB/SoB workshop series.
- Demonstrated at SoB conferences in 2002, 2004, 2005,
2006 and 2008. Gives workshops across the UK for SoB.
- Presenter of Seventy Years in Bookbinding: a
Portrait of Bernard Middleton,
- Has published articles Gold Leaf (Hand Bookbinders of California); Ampersand (Pacific Center for the Book Arts); Biblio magazine; Illustrator magazine;
Bookbinder (SoB) and The New Bookbinder (DB).
- Accredited lecturer with the National Association of Decorative and Fine
Arts Societies (NADFAS).
- Bindings in collections in the USA and UK, including the British Library
and the Rylands Library in Manchester.
- 'I enjoy all aspects of bookbinding, from restoration to teaching and
Design Binding. Restoration is hugely challenging, and is surgical
in its approach. Teaching is about giving back, but it also keeps
the craft alive.
If you have a passion, you must pass it on. Design Binding is the
way we get to be artists, but is also the most mentally taxing. I
forty or so Design Bindings since 2001, and now make about eight