- Having served a five-year apprenticeship,
Stephen worked at the Scolar Press fine bindery, Ilkley and
Smith Settle, Otley, before establishing his own business in1985.
- He currently runs a small bindery in Halifax,
West Yorkshire, working mainly on private press editions,
presentation work, commissions and design binding.
- In 1998 he won the Designer Bookbinders Silver
medal, and in 2000 was elected Fellow of Designer Bookbinders.
- His design bindings are housed in private
collections and institutions worldwide, including The British
Library and The National Library of Scotland.
- His bindings have a tactile quality, something
he feels to be in keeping with the three-dimensional properties
of the book format. He
tries to give them an atmosphere, sympathetic to the text, through the use
of colour, texture, materials
and design. He is interested in the complete book, non-figurative
interpretation and music, and works towards combining these
three elements to produce books which link them through design,
sound and function.’